Institute of Linguistics, Academia Sinica (ILAS) is subordinate to Division of Humanities and Social Sciences in the organizational structure of Academia Sinica.The present director is Dr. Jo-wang LIN (distinguished research fellow) who leads ILAS and manages all of ILAS’affairs. Deputy director Dr. Shu-Chuan TSENG(research fellow), on the other hand, supports the director to handle administrative affairs. Important committees of ILAS are as follows:
As prescribed in "The Organization Regulations of the Research Institutes of Academia Sinica", ILAS' Faculty Meeting is composed of the director, deputy director(s), distinguished research fellows, full-time research fellows, full-time associate research fellows and assistant research fellows. Faculty Meeting is convened at least bimonthly by the director. If one-third or more of those required to attend the Faculty Meeting recommend convening a Faculty Meeting, the director may convene a Faculty Meeting.
ILAS has established various committees based on their respective practice to carry out discussions on specific issues, and to further offer suggestions to the General Assembly Faculty Meeting for reference or taking an action. Standing or ad hoc, the committees are introduced as follows:
- 1. Standing Committees: Composed by research fellows elected by the Faculty Meeting. Committee member's term of office varies from 1 to 2 years.
- (a) Academic Committee: Composed by 6 to 8 elected committee members, the Committee holds a meeting bimonthly to discuss and deliberate academic development related matters assigned by the Faculty Meeting.
- (b) Academic Publications Editorial Committee: Composed by 7 to 9 committee members, each with a two-year term of office. The Committee is responsible for the discussion and deliberation of ILAS' academic publication policy and editorial practices.
- (c) Information Committee: Composed by 3 to 5 committee members, each with a two-year term of office. The Committee is responsible for the discussion and deliberation of ILAS’information matters.
- (d) Library Committee: Composed by 3 to 5 committee members, each with a two-year term of office. The Committee is responsible for the discussion and deliberation of library facilities related matters.
- 2. Ad hoc task-oriented teams: Teams that are formed to carry out works related to the recruitment, reappointment or promotion of research fellows; and to the annual academic performance evaluation.
- (a) Recruitment Review Team: Composed by 5 to 7 research fellows of ILAS, each with a one-year term of office. The Team's primary tasks are to draw up personnel selection criteria; conduct preliminary and secondary reviews on applicants; and report related matters to the Faculty Meeting for a resolution.
- (b) Reappointment Review Team: Composed by 5 to 7 research fellows of ILAS, the Team's primary tasks are to recommend reviewers; submit reviews; write summary reports; and other preliminary review and secondary review works.
- (c) Promotion Review Team: Composed by 5 to 7 research fellows of ILAS, the Team is established to handle specific promotion cases. The primary missions thereof are to recommend reviewers; submit reviews; and write summary reports; and other preliminary review and secondary review works.
- (d) Academic Performance Evaluation Committee: Composed by 5 research fellows of ILAS in every June to July, the Team evaluates and determine personnel's rank in regard to their leadership or academic research results; and academic administration or public service performance.